Foot Ganglion Cyst Treatment
A Ganglion cyst is a benign, fluid filled sac that often appears on or around tendons or joints. Most often it occurs in the hand or foot. Ganglion cysts are also known as “Bible cyst” derived from a common treatment in the past that consisted of hitting the cyst with a Bible or a large book, hoping to burst the sack. The size of the ganglion cyst may vary over time and it is not uncommon for the size to change day to day.
What are the Symptoms of Ganglion Cyst in the Foot?
- A large or small bump on top of the foot
- bump may feel soft or spongy
- bump may be mobile
Possible Treatments of Ganglion Cyst in the Foot
- Needle aspiration (putting a needle into the cyst and remove the fluid)
- Needle aspiration of the cyst with injection of corticosteroid into the cyst
- Surgical excision (surgical removal) of the cyst
Possible Risks Involved with Treatment of a Ganglion Cyst
- Infection of the surgical site
- Infection at the needle aspiration site
- Nerve and Artery damage along the incision site
- there’s no guarantee that a ganglion cyst won’t recur, even after surgical removal of the cyst
We encourage you to consult with a foot and ankle specialist for a complete assessment of your condition.
foot ganglion cyst treatment